Welfare Reform2018-01-08T10:19:02+00:00

Welfare Reform


If you get benefits, things could soon be changing for you.

The Welfare Reform Act – introduced by the UK Government – will soon see changes to the way people receive benefits and the amount they get.

It’s going to be a big change for many people so, the sooner you find out how this affects you, the better prepared you will be.

Bedroom Tax

If you are a MTHA tenant and you have one or more ‘spare’ bedrooms you may be affected by these changes from April 2013.  Under the new rules if you have more bedrooms than the UK Government says you need, you will lose part of your housing benefit.

If you have one ‘spare’ bedroom your housing benefit will be cut by 14 per cent of your full weekly rent. If you have two or more spare bedrooms, you will lose 25 per cent.

If your benefit is cut, you will have to pay MTHA the difference between your housing benefit and your rent.  You will have to make arrangements before April 2013 to pay the difference to MTHA.

Contact us on 01685 352830 and we’ll help you make the arrangements.  If you are worried about being able to afford to pay your rent from April 2013, you should ask for advice now.

Talk to MTHA about the options available to you by ringing 01685 352830.

Universal Credit

From October 2013, the UK Government will start bringing in a new system under which all your benefits will be paid into your bank account in one lump sum once a month.

The name of the new monthly payment is Universal Credit. It will replace a number of current benefits and tax credits. These include income-based job seeker’s allowance, housing benefit, income related employment and support allowance, child tax credit and working tax credit.

At the moment, most tenants choose for their housing benefit to be paid straight to MTHA. Under Universal Credit, you will receive the money and will need to arrange to pay your rent to MTHAyourself.

If you don’t pay your rent you could lose your home, so talk to us now about the best way for you to pay your rent by ringing 01685 352830.

Further Changes Information

The changes being brought in by the UK Government are quite complex but a brilliant website has been produced where you will find all the facts about each change.

You will be able to see when things will start to change, how this will affect you financially and how you can get the right help and support to see you through.

For further information click below


In this section

Telephone our freephone repairs helpline 0800 7314 293 (24 hours) or Mobile phone users – 0330 123 9015

Latest News

Sex for Rent is illegal warns Women Housing Cymru A  campaign,  launched  today  by  Housing  Women  Cymru, aims  to  raise  awareness and  end  the  offering  of  accommodation  or  reduced  rent  in  return  for  sex  or  [...]